|Copyright Notice: Please obtain permission from the author before duplicating, re-publishing or adapting content of a trip report|
|Be a responsible traveler! Watch this video before you hit the road! Download Video: MP4|3gp|
|Do you like to contribute a Trip Report? learn how to or download template and start straight away!|
|Year and Month||December 2010|
|Number of Days||Three Day Trip (2 nights in Nuwara Eliaya & 1 night in Sella kataragama)|
|Crew||5 (My Family: Myself, Wife, two kids & domestic aide)|
|Accommodation||1st Night & 2nd Night in Nuwara Eliya company bungalow, 3rd Night in Timber Corporation Circuit Bungalow in Sella Kataragama|
|Transport||Kia Sportage 4WDT/C intercooler Jeep|
|Activities||Sight seeing, wild life and nature, relaxation|
|Weather||Gave some respite in the mornings but rained in the evening. It is always better if one can avoid Monsoon seasons especially for wild life activities|
|Route||Colombo -> Nuwara Eliya -> Horton Plains -> Hakgala -> Welimada -> Etampitiya -> Hali Ela -> Ella -> Weellawaya -> Buttala -> Galge -> Sella Kataragama -> Yala -> Tissamaharama -> Nonagama Junction -> Embilpitiya -> Pelmadulla -> Ratnapura -> Colombo|
|Tips, Notes and Special remarks||
|Comments||Discuss this trip report, provide feedback or make suggestions at Lakdasun Forum on the thread|
- Departure from Thalahena at 6.10 am on 01.12.2010
- Arrived in Nuwara Eliya relaxed in the afternoon and proceeded to Hortain Plains on 02.12.2010 via Ambewela – Kande Ela
- Entered Hortain Plains and we chose the right turn to proceed to Bakers Falls. However when we reached to Blackpool area, weather started to suddenly change and dark clouds were gathering at a tremendous speed- we decided to return amid showers
- Rested again in the afternoon and on 03.12.2010 proceeded to Sella Kataragama through Hakgala- Welimada- Etampitiya Hali Ela- Ella- Weellawaya- Buttala-Galge route which was indeed a fresh experience for all of us. Ravana Ella was something very beautiful & special in this route
- Arrived in Timber Corporation Circuit Bungalow just near the Sella Kataragama bridge which can be booked from the Battaramulla office.
- On 04.12.2010 morning at 4.15 am we proceeded to Yala which was a longer trip than we anticipated. Therefore we could only reach Yala at about 7.15 am which is slightly late for anumal sightings
- In Yala we saw Elephants, Spotted deer, Mongoose, Wild Boar, Crocodiles, Black Hair, Green Bee eaters, Peackocks and many other birds. The Wild Life tracker allocated for us Mr Karunarathna made a special effort to get us through every possible track
- After the Safari at about 12.00 noon we departed from Yala back to Sella Kataragama to take the luch and pick up our luggage.
- On the 4th when we approached Tissamaharama it was heavy raining and the main road to Hambanthota was closed for vehicular traffic due to flash floods. We had to take a D- tour toawrds Hambantota
- We then proceed to Nonagama Junction and took the Embilpitiya road and without any stoppage proceed to Thalahena. We reached Thalehena late at 11.30Pm as it was a heavy downpour all the way throughout the the entire route.