|Copyright Notice: Please obtain permission from the author before duplicating, re-publishing or adapting content of a trip report|
|Be a responsible traveler! Watch this video before you hit the road! Download Video: MP4|3gp|
|Do you like to contribute a Trip Report? learn how to or download template and start straight away!|
|Year and Month||January, 2014 (4th)|
|Number of Days||One Day Trip|
|Crew||5(Ashan, Amila, Wuminda, Rukshan and myself)|
|Accommodation||Karunadasa guest house Pattipola T.P:0774907025|
|Transport||Train, Three wheeler and walking|
|Activities||Hiking and photography|
|Route||Colombo -> Pattipola -> Hortain Plains National Park -> Kirigalpoththa and Thotupola -> Came back in same route|
|Tips, Notes and Special remark||
|Comments||Discuss this trip report, provide feedback or make suggestions at Lakdasun Forum on the thread|
This was the first trip of New Year. We reached Pattipola railway station around 4.30am and Ashan came to accompany us to Karunadasa guest house which is situated in walking distance from the railway station. Following our bed tea we started the journey to Hortain plains National Park by a three-wheeler. Weather was excellent and Piduruthalagala mountain range, Ambewela area, Namunukula, Hakgala mountain were visible one our way.
Heading to Kirigalpoththa Mountain.
Few points of Kirigalpoththa
• 2nd highest mountain of Sri Lanka. It’s height is 2388m (7835ft).
• Highest mountain peak of Sri Lanka whose summit is accessible to the general public.
• Situated in the west area of Hortain Plains.
• Location-06047’57”N 80046’00’’E
• Least tourist attraction site of Hortain plains.
Few points of Thotupola Kanda
• Third highest peak of Sri Lanka. It’s height is 2357m (7733ft).
• Thotupola Kanda means a landing site of Rawana. After kidnapping Sita, Rawana first landed his plane here.
• Trail distance up to the peak is 2km.
• Location is 06049’59”N 80049’11’’E.
Although we started to walk towards Pattipola station, we had a lift by a jeep. Following our dinner we got into the night mail train towards Colombo with chilling cold. Had a day!
Thanks for reading.